Saturday, April 2, 2011
Ancestor tears
Qing Ming Jie, or the Festival of Pure Brightness, is just around the corner. It is also referred to as Tomb Sweeping Day. We get out of school, and people go back to the old homeplace to honor their ancestors. Today it has clouded over and become cooler, and the maid wanted to make sure that I understood it was going to rain soon, and why. Knowing Li, I already had a hunch why, but I let her tell me anyway, because she likes to explain this sort of thing so much. It is because people are going to the tombs to cry and mourn the dead, they will feel sad, and so of course the ancestors will feel sad too. But they cannot cry physical tears, so they cry through the rain. She also explained that they will burn paper money and other stuff, to make sure the ancestors have what they need in the afterlife, and they will talk to them, and expect them to actually hear what is said. She asked if we do the same, but of course she already knows what I am going to say too, she just wants to hear me say it. I explained, because I like to explain this sort of thing, that we might put flowers on the grave of a loved one, but that we would talk to Jesus, expecting Him to hear us, and trust Him to take care of our ancestors, and protect them. Li said, "well I knew your practise would have something to do with Jesus!" with a big smile on her face. As she walked away to straighten in another room, she just said, "we are sooooooo not the same!" with a giggle, and I could only giggle and shake my head, hoping Jesus will one day reveal Himself to her, in the way that only He knows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
He uses you to reveal Himself to her in small ways like this...
ReplyDelete